Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Once every 15 years . . .

The weather professionals say that a snowstorm of this nature hits the northeast in October once every 15 years. What was supposed to be two inches of snow has turned into over 14 inches in some areas here in western Sullivan county. Interstate was closed this morning due to multiple accidents, people were totally unprepared.

DH had to swap cars with DD after work this evening to assure that he'd be able to make it home. A snow plow got stuck on our hill, just below our driveway this morning and had to back itself down the road. For the remainder of the day it seemed that all plows came down the road instead.

We're at 700 feet here - MIL, up the road, is at 1200+ feet. Our snow was heavy & wet and has melted away rather quickly - hers accumulated and she had to have her rear porch shoveled off twice today and will probably have to have it done again tomorrow since even more snow is forecast!

I found out today that I won a contest that I had entered and totally forgot about. Easy to forget since I absolutely NEVER win anything. :) I correctly guessed (within a few ounces) the weight of a batch of wool that had been sent to a processor and as the winner I'll be receiving 8oz of Shetland wool! How cool is that? Having never spun Shetland before, I'm looking forward to receiving it.

My needle felting kit arrived today. I'm going to have to see about getting books from the library to get myself started with this new (to me) craft. I'm hoping to be able to felt something into the gloves that I'm designing for Helene. Probably just something simple to start. I do have the Folk Knitting book and I know there are needle felted items in that. I'll have to get it out and see.

Another shawl is on the needles. Bulky/thick/thin yarn for this one. Simple stitches, Faroese style. Seems to be working up as a quick knit as well. It'll be easy to chart and I hope to have a pattern available soon. I still need to get shawl #1 published. I just need photos to add to the documents.

No comments: